By United Nations
This guide presents in-depth info on resources, platforms and criteria for human rights with regards to the paintings of felony officers, useful options, subject matters for dialogue, case reviews and checklists. it's one element of the 4 half book Human Rights and Prisons - a human rights education package deal for felony officers.
Read Online or Download Human Rights and Prisons: Manual on Human Rights Training for Prison Officials (Professional Training) PDF
Best civil rights & liberties books
The constitution of primary Rights of the eu Union contains, as well as the conventional civil and political rights, quite a few rights of an financial or social nature. This choice of essays via prime students during this box considers the importance of the inclusion of such rights in the european constitution, by way of security of person and collective social and monetary pursuits inside and among the european and its Member States.
John Stuart Mill's essay On Liberty, released in 1859, has had a strong influence on philosophical and political debates ever in view that its first visual appeal. This quantity of essays covers the full variety of difficulties raised in and by means of the essay, together with the concept that of liberty, the toleration of range, freedom of expression, the worth of permitting 'experiments in living', the root of person liberty, multiculturalism and the claims of minority cultural teams.
Few conventions have been left unchallenged within the Seventies as american citizens witnessed a decade of sweeping social, cultural, monetary, and political upheavals. The clean soreness of the Vietnam battle, the disillusionment of Watergate, the recession, and the oil embargo all contributed to an period of social hobbies, political distrust, and never unusually, wealthy cultural variety.
Citizen Killings: Liberalism, country coverage and ethical threat bargains a floor breaking systematic method of formulating moral public coverage on all sorts of 'citizen killings', which come with killing in self-defence, abortion, infanticide, assisted suicide, euthanasia and killings conducted by way of deepest army contractors and so-called 'foreign fighters'.
- International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, Volume 5
- The handgun guide for women : shoot straight, shoot safe, and carry with confidence
- Introduction to Renormalization
- J.S. Mill, On liberty in focus
- When the Marching Stopped: The Politics of Civil Rights Regulatory Agencies
Additional resources for Human Rights and Prisons: Manual on Human Rights Training for Prison Officials (Professional Training)
A universal prohibition on torture and ill-treatment stems from the inherent dignity of all people. Prisoners and detainees should be treated at all times in a humane and dignified manner. This requirement begins at the point of admission and continues until the moment of release. ESSENTIAL PRlNclPLEs All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. Human rights derive from the inherent dignity of the human person. All persons deprived of their liberty shall be treated at all times with humanity and with respect for the inherent dignity of the human person.
Take steps to improve conditions in places of detention which do not conform to international standards. c IMPLICATIONS The deprivation of adequate food, water, clothing and proper accommodation can often result in ill-treatment of prisoners which may amount to torture in severe cases. It is important to realize that physical infliction of torture or other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment is not the only manner of violating the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, lnhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.
82. In addition, the European Convention for the Prevention of Torture and lnhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment came into force in February 1989. This Convention established the European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and lnhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT), whose function is to visit any place within the jurisdiction of States parties, both periodically and on an ad hoc basis, where persons are deprived of their liberty by a public authority, including police stations, prisons, psychiatric institutions and holding centres for asylumseekers and other categories of foreigners.
Human Rights and Prisons: Manual on Human Rights Training for Prison Officials (Professional Training) by United Nations